Our Family’s Swiss Bucket List!
Holiday in Switzerland!
We live in Switzerland, and yet, there are still many beautiful places we have not explored! Geneva’s location maybe makes it less easy as it is not centrally located in Switzerland. However, we have decided we would like to discover Switzerland more, as it is so beautiful! If you ask a Swiss where you should absolutely go, they come up with numerous suggestions! And so, I have created our Family’s Swiss Bucket List! How many have you done? And what did you love, but that is missing on my list? Feel free to comment on my list! Let’s inspire each other!
Our list is divided in Places and Experiences! I will keep our Bucket List status up to date, so you can see how we’re doing 😊.
1. Blausee, Status:
You can not have missed the beautiful images of the Swiss alpine lake Blausee in the Canton of Bern. The water is crystal clear, and you can hop on the glass bottom boat to go onto the lake. We have waited specifically for this Bucket List place for it to be autumn, because the lake is surrounded by a forest, so we wanted to see it with beautiful autumn colors, but it’s supposed to be really beautiful with snow as well.
Read all about what we thought of it here:
2. Lauterbrunnen waterfall, Status: not been yet.
Lauterbrunnen is one of Switzerland’s most famous ‘postcard’ images. The Lauterbrunnen waterfall which comes out of the mountain in the center of an ideal Swiss village. Have you been?
3. Zürich, Status: not been yet, will take any tips!
4. Ticino region, Status:
The Ticino region has won our hearts! We have been to the to the region around Lugano, and to Locarno / Ascona as well, but there is still more we need to discover! For instance, number 25 on this list 😊. See our blog posts on the Ticino here:
5. Aletsch Glacier, Status:
We felt so lucky to be here, and sit at the dreamy viewpoint location on the Belalp mountain with the cute little church and the majestic glacier behind. You can also see the glacier from the other side of the mountain, like we did on our ski trip to beautiful Bettmeralp!
You can read our review on this place here:
6. Zermatt, Status: , and looooved. The Matterhorn is Switzerland’s most iconic mountain top and we were really excited about the views, especially from some of the mountain restaurants.
7. Lucerne, Status:
The beautiful old town with medieval wooden bridges, and the Swiss Transport Museum, one of the best museums in Switzerland!
8. Mount Rigi, Status: not yet been!
Can be combined with Lucerne, but we were in lack of time, so we will need to go back for this one!
9. Lake Brienz, Status: not yet been!
10. Lake Constanz, Status: not yet been!
11. Schaffhausen, Rhein fall, Status: not yet been! High on our list!
12. Lavaux Vineyards, Status:
Most beautiful time of the year must be Autumn. We walked in the vineyards in Summer and had a drink on the beautiful terrace of Le Baron Tavernier in Chexbres.
13. Oeschinensee, Status:
This was actually not on our Bucket List, but since we have been and thought it was the most beautiful place in Switzerland, I’m putting in on, for your inspiration! A must-do in Switzerland and can be combined with Blausee!
14. Emosson Dam, Status: not yet been but heard a lot about it!
15. Hike Ebenalp and have lunch at Berggasthaus Aescher-Wildkirchli, Status: not yet been, but the images of this restaurant are so amazing that we would really like to go!
This is where we have work to do! Below is what I would like to experience in Switzerland, but what we have not done yet! Have you done any of this? And what do you recommend?
16. Swimming in the Aare river in Bern in Summer.
17. Take the steepest funicular in Stoos and see the view on Lake Lucerne.
18. Walking through the ‘Passage de Monetier’ during the Escalade weekend (this is do-able, we live in Geneva!). This narrow street in Geneva’s Old Town can only be visited once a year. Status: done!
19. Sleeping in an igloo.
20. Panoramic train ride. Which one do you recommend? So far, we have been on the Centovalli Express, and on the train from Montreux to Rochers-de-Naye.
21. Suspension bridge, Status: , only one so far, but there are ones that are higher up, so we may do some more!
22. Spa with a view.
23. Fondue in a cable car.
24. Mountain hut trekking.
25. Swimming in Valle Verzasca in the Ticino region.
What am I missing on my Switzerland Bucket List? Feel free to comment below! I’m looking forward to your replies 😊.